I don’t know my ass from…

This will become more clear later in this blog!! We made it home last evening safe and sound. Now for the report.

I’ll start from the beginning of the trip. We usually try to get out of the house at a decent hour between 6 and 7:30 am and stop halfway in Bozeman MT. All the years we’ve done this trip we always stop at the same gas stations, same restaurants and sometimes even the same hotels (depending on availability) First stop of course was for latte’s in Ritzville. (our usual stop would have been out of our way and we would have had to back track). Next stop was gas in Post Falls ID and then tortured by hunger and the thought of great sandwiches, we drove the next leg of our route to Worden’s Deli in Missoula. I’m sure I’ve mentioned it a few times in past year’s posts. Can’t beat it for lunch! We also stopped at Joseph’s Coat. I didn’t take any pictures there so I’ll send you to an old post at Knitting Iris so you can see some. I think the other knitting shops in Missoula have gone out of business.

Towns with any population to speak of on I-90 in western Montana are about 100 miles apart, it was nice to tick each one off as we drove through. When we passed Columbia MT we waved at Mountain Colors yarns, though you know you can’t stop by and say hi and spend money like you can The Schoolhouse Press. Mountain Colors won’t let you even get close. Somewhere out there I worked on sock two of my current socks. And cast on for the dark pumpkin colored raglan cardi.

I am somewhat of a driving party pooper (per Knitting Hubby), I put the pedal to the metal and just want to get to our final destination. KH likes to stop and smell the roses and when he’s driven this route by himself has found some great photo ops.

This is the oldest Mormon church in western MT we were told. It’s exit 195, Racetrack Road. Curious goats watched as we took pictures. The cows didn’t care. But the goat did.

Can’t remember what exit number we took for this barn, but farther east down the freeway. We couldn’t get right up to it since it was marked no trespassing on the fence. We did take pictures from a lot of different angles and I plan to some day do some oil pastel paintings based on them. We rolled into Bozeman, our stop for the night, right about 6pm. A long Wednesday ride.

Thursday we decided to sleep in a little so it got to be late lunch by the time we rolled into Miles City MT. We headed downtown to find a cafe rather than going down fast food row. I had a hankering for a hot turkey sandwich and Knitting Hubby was looking for chicken fried steak. We knew we wouldn’t find either of those at the golden arches. We found both at the 600 Cafe on Main Street. It was there that the rather spotty ATT cell phone and EDGE service started losing bars bad. KH’s side of the table – no bars, my side, well if I held the iPhone just right I could check the weather down the road. And we didn’t like the looks of it. We were heading into snow.

We arrived in Lemmon SD just about sundown. Except we couldn’t see sundown because of the rain and dinner plate sized snow flakes that were starting to fall. We checked into the newest place in town, The Dakota Lodge. If you are ever in the area and need a place to stay, stop by and say hi to the manager Anita. She’s a local (knew KH when he was in high school with her sister) who left for a few years and came back to Lemmon to live and work. The Dakota Lodge is a beautiful new place, very comfortable and the price is right. You can see the corner of the Lodge in this picture of the large tourist sign on Main Street. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures in the park and museum. Been there done that.

Late dinner that night was Flying Saucers from the Sugar Shack. I t hink they’re maybe made in a press like this and they are filled with sloppy joe hamburger. YUM!!

We missed this business that came and went in our absence. The sign says “Northern Plains Wool”.

So Friday was the service and then the 5 of us hit the road in two cars heading back to Spearfish.(KH and I in the truck, Marge, Tim and Joan in the car). KH took me down some fun roads in the area that I hadn’t been down in about 10 years. This area is featured in the book “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by Robert M. Pirsig so we visited some of the sites.

We also visited the now abandoned prairie dog town and saw these guys! OK this is where I don’t know my ass from a mule from a… well I think I know what a burro looks like and these aren’t burros. I have lots of pictures of this herd. They were fun and full of personality.

As we headed south we saw lots of sheep, hundreds of sheep, thousands of sheep. And I always though that it was cattle country.

How do you like this weather vane??? It has the wrong tail number on it though I think. I looked up that number and it is supposedly owned by the US government and registered at Andrews Air Force Base. Believe me, this wasn’t Andrews. But it is the right kind of plane, a Cessna U-3A.

We spent the next couple of days packing up the Spearfish house and moved Marge into an assisted living center. We thought it was a real nice place and she knows people that live there so we think she’ll settle in just fine. Oh and the entire time we were there it snowed. KH and I left Spearfish early Monday morning. Only to get stopped for 3.5 hours in Gillette WY when they closed the freeway. Glad to stop as the freeway had been ice all the way from Spearfish. The road departments did a good job of clearing though we never knew what the conditions were going to be around the next bend. I took this picture during a brief sun break in Sheridan WY when we filled up with gas.

We stopped at the same hotel in Bozeman on our return. Somewhere by Dillon MT we spotted these two friends. Something tells me this guy didn’t get his shearing this year.

We got home early evening on Monday. It was a long short trip if you know what I mean. I did get in some dedicated knitting time. Finished my socks and started the sweater. I am down to where I split off the arms from the sweater body. KH worked socks most of the way when I was driving. We are both looking forward to the Celia Quinn workshop this weekend! I’ll have my camera with me for that, hope I have time to use it.


5 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Chris
    Oct 16, 2008 @ 05:20:35

    Wow, you sure covered a lot of ground and got a lot done! Yup, flying saucer sandwiches are indeed made with gizmos like that. We used to have them all the time when I was a kid.


  2. Hazel Spindler
    Oct 16, 2008 @ 16:41:47

    Glad you’re back safe & sound…that snow pic looks all too familiar, hope it holds off here a little longer. hls


  3. heideho
    Oct 17, 2008 @ 05:04:42

    Ouch, that sheep looks like his hair hurts. Maybe the donkey/horse/burro/mules were the result of a long winter with multiple types of animals locked in the barn. Ice and snow?! That’s a hard concept to grasp for us out here on the coast until about November. Glad you’ve arrived home safely and that the trip went well. Cheers!


  4. Kathleen
    Oct 20, 2008 @ 11:32:21

    I really DO miss that part of the country. Even the look of the sky when snow is coming. Thanks for posting these pictures and taking me back home, in spirit at least.


  5. Miss T
    Oct 28, 2008 @ 07:38:21

    Hey, I’ve never had a flying saucer sandwich! I think I’m going to have to find one of those presses.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: